Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Why Electric Cars Will NEVER Succeed

We need new vehicles, that aren't gas powered; almost everyone agrees with that that. But will electric cars be that savior that everyone has been waiting for? The answer is well, probably not. Why is that you ask, well the electric car is inconvenient in too many ways, and no matter how high the price of gas, people will always love to hear the revving of their engine burning away their money.

Of course electric cars have their advantages like their cheap cost to refill but that’s about it. Oh and of course you also get that feeling of satisfaction that you’re helping the environment, but there’s not much more than that. If you ask most people why they don’t get an electric car, the first thing they’ll tell you is its too inconvenient. The reason why most people first think of this is because say I need to take a 5 hour car trip to see my cousins for the holidays, or to visit an old friend on an occasion. Well I’m inconvenienced by the fact that my dam electric car can go over 200km. But even if I need to go to my cottage that’s 160 km away. Well my electric car may be able to go that far but what if its winter, what if I drive aggressively or what if it’s more uphill then down. What I’m trying to say is that even if my car can theoretically make the trip some things may influence whether I can drive that full distance or not and even if do make the distance, it’s not worth the hairsplitting stress, contemplating whether I will make that trip. There is definitely something to say about that peace of mind that gas cars give you, knowing that if your running low, you can stop and refill at any given time

The other thing about electric cars is that they are way too expensive. Well Mr Smarty pants might come by and say, "Hey electric cars are only like $10,000 more than the average car." Well guess what. YOUR WRONG. Yea sure the factory price might only be 10 000 more but think about this. I'm buying a new car because my gas one stopped working. Well I do mostly city driving so ill invest that extra 10, 000 on a new electric car. Problem is, I also drive long distances to see family, go to the cottage, go camping and go on vacation. So that means I need to buy another gas car, and to be fair I will buy a new one just like I bought a new electric car. Well now I’m in a bit over my ankles. And now to add onto that, I've had my car for 10 years and now need to pay 10 000 dollars for a new dam battery. And if I decide to sell my car after 5 years, I’m sure the resale value will SUCK too since everyone is afraid that you may not have treated the battery right and have neglected to give it full slow charges, thus decreasing the battery life.

I'm not sure about you other guys, but is it just me or don't we love having a nice powerful engine with a manual transmission and a sawed of muffler to make our straight 4 sound like a v8. Yea, yea I know I’m taking it overboard and not many people do that but either way a gas engine is a nice manly thing to have and we occasionally like to put the pedal to the metal when accelerating after making a new corner and listening to that small yet decent sounding engine. Electric cars on the other hand don't make any sound at all like how terrible id that, that when you try accelerating all you hear is the meshing of your gears. Like to make electric cars appealing they at least got to sell some loudspeakers hooked up to a computer system that plays the sound of an internal combustion engine as you accelerate so at least its seems to the non vigilant listener that you actually HAVE AN ENGINE in your car.

Anyways I don't HATE electric cars and i don't think gas is the way to go, all I’m saying is that electric cars have a long way to go before they conquer the market and chances are some aliens will come down and give us a car that runs on urine before electric cars taking over the market become a reality :-p

if you liked this article and want to read more or just keep up with my stuff feel free to follow me or join my community


No comments:

Post a Comment